Department for Education: Privacy Notice for Multiply – Non Substantive Activity

Last Updated: 17/01/2023
Date of Next Review: 01/2024

We might make changes before the review date. Check regularly for updates.

This privacy notice explains how the Department for Education (DfE) uses personal information as part of Multiply Programme. This includes information you give to us, or information that we may collect about you.

Multiply is a government-funded programme to help adults improve their numeracy skills. Non–substantive activity is a provision is targeted at those in the local area who would benefit from funded learning. This is likely to be more informal and innovative activity and not typically classroom-based.

Why we get your Personal Data?

When we collect and use this information, we need to follow the law. The main laws are the Data Protection Act (DPA) and the UK General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). The DfE is the data controller for your personal data. We must have a reason to collect your personal data. This is called a ‘lawful basis’. We can use these lawful bases to process your personal data:

  • Public Task – This is when we need your personal data to do our work, to provide or fund education.

What we Need?

We will collect the following types of personal data about you, from organisations that we are providing funding to, in order to deliver Multiply Programme on our behalf:

  • Name
  • Date of Birth
  • Postcode

Why we need it and what we do with it

We collect and process your personal information in order to:

  • Monitor the impact of Multiply Programme funding, on non-substantive activity. We will use it to monitor your progress to further learning, via the Individual Learner Record.

How long we keep it?

The Multiply Programme will only keep your personal information for as long as we need it. We decide how long to keep your personal information based on the needs of the department and the law.

We will keep your information for up to 7 years; this is so we can evaluate the success of the Multiply Programme. We will take necessary steps to keep your information safe. It will then be securely destroyed when it is no longer needed.

Do we use any Data Processors?

A data processor is an organisation that processes your information on DfE’s behalf. We only use data processors for these activities:

  • To evaluate the impact of Multiply funding on non-substantive activity

Do we transfer your personal information overseas?

When DfE stores personal information outside the UK, we will make sure we keep your personal data safe. We follow the data protection law. We also use extra security measures, contracts and Data Sharing Agreements.

Do we share your Personal Information?

If the law allows it, we might share your personal information with other parts of DfE including the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA), and with other government departments.

We will share your personal information with:

  • Organisations who work for us under a contract.
  • Organisations that request information to help prevent and detect crime or fraud, where it is lawful to do so.

DfE may share your personal information in order to:

  • Evaluate the success of the Multiply programme

The DfE Personal Information Charter gives you more information on how we use your Personal Information.

What are your rights

You have rights about how and why your information is collected and used. These include:

  • The right to see the personal information we have about you – this is called ’right of access’
  • The right to ask us to change any information you think is not accurate or complete – this is called ‘right to rectification’
  • The right to ask us to delete your personal information – this is called ‘right to erasure’
  • The right to ask us to stop using your information – this is called ‘right to restriction of processing’, and
  • Your ‘right to object to processing’ of your information

For more information on your rights, please see the ICO Website.

Finding out what information we have?

You have the right to ask for access to your personal information. This is known as a subject access request (SAR).

To make a SAR, you can use the DfE Contact Form. Or you can post your request to the Data Protection Office at the above address. Include as much information as you can about the information you need. Include the years you need the information for. If possible, tell us which part of the department holds the information. You’ll also need to tell us your telephone number and address. We may need to check your identity and your right to access the information you’re requesting. To check your identity, we may ask for a copy of your passport, photo driving licence or proof of your address.

We’ll try to respond to your request within one month. But, if your request is complex, this could take a further two months, but we’ll tell you if this is the case. If you would like to see a copy of the personal information we hold about you, this is called a Subject Access Request, or SAR, see here for further details.

How to contact us or make a Complaint?

If you have a question, or feel your data has been mishandled, you can contact us by using our secure DfE Contact Form or writing to:

Emma Wharram
Data Protection Officer
Department for Education (B2.28)
7 & 8 Wellington Place
Wellington Street

You can also complain to the ICO by writing to:

Information Commissioner’s Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane

Helpline number: 0303 123 1113.  Or use the online ICO Contact Form